Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan, 2011-2016
The Touro College Libraries aspire to be a primary partner in intellectual pursuits throughout the College.
The Touro College Libraries promote a collegial and academic atmosphere, in support of the College's mission to further personal growth and intellectual inquiry. Supporting research and academic goals, the Libraries partner with faculty and administrative staff to advance Touro College's mission to become a center of religious and secular scholarship. The Libraries acquire, organize, preserve, and provide access to information resources in a broad range of formats, which support the intellectual pursuits of the Touro College community. Our expert and responsive staff provide group and individual instruction and guidance to the Touro College community to foster information literacy, and encourage students to become lifelong learners.
Provide content, services, and tools
Provide the TC community with the scholarly resources and services that best fit users' needs.
- Improve web discovery services for the Libraries' scholarly content.
- Increase the Libraries' capacity to acquire, manage and create digital scholarly content.
- Maintain current, relevant physical collections.
- Ensure maximal availability and responsiveness of library web services.
- Deliver and expand information literacy classes, webinars and tutorials to meet the Information Literacy Standards as set in the General Education Goals.
- Standardize library orientation sessions throughout the Libraries.
- Establish an information literacy credit course for users at early stages of their college career.
- Create finding aids for archival materials.
Enhance the user experience
Understand the evolving needs of users to guide the shaping of our spaces, collections and services.
- Expand and improve assessment of user experience.
- Maintain high level and visibility of reference services.
- Offer scholarly content and services via mobile devices.
- Increase number of locations with wireless Internet service.
- Ensure continuing usability of the Library website.
- Explore the possibility of bringing together Library and Academic Computing services in a learning commons.
- Regularly assess equipment and space usage at all locations.
Strengthen the library organization
Conduct continuous evaluation, development and outreach to strengthen the Libraries and their relationships with the rest of the College community.
- Encourage all students, faculty and staff to use the Libraries to the fullest possible extent through increased publicity and outreach.
- Analyze usage statistics, customer satisfaction survey results and library instruction post-test results to assess whether and how library services meet the needs of users.
- Invest in staff development, recognition and mentoring to maximize staff engagement, contribution and skills.
Support College priorities
Contribute as a central partner to Touro College's committment to research, scholarship and transmission of knowledge.
- Maintain a collection that supports faculty scholarship.
- Foster a research climate within the College.
- Continue to build and publicize the Libraries' faculty publications website.
- Promote partnerships with the College Office of Sponsored Programs and Office of Information Technology.
- Actively engage in faculty departmental and task force meetings.
- Liaise with administrators, deans and department heads to develop collaborative partnerships.
- Increase library staff to expand teaching partnerships by creating embedded information literacy course components.
- Initiate the integration of infomation literacy content in the College learning management system.
Create new digital resources
Contribute to the transmission of knowledge by expanding and promoting the Libraries' Digital Collections.
- Identify unique resources desirable for digitization.
- Develop websites that optimally present our digital assets.